133 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg, Virginia
“The Sentry Box, used in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War , as an outpost from which to watch for the approach of enemy ships on the Rappahannock. Between the houses can be seen the Washington Farm, where George Washington was raised to manhood.” The preceding text is from the back of the card below.
“The Sentry Box (ca. 1786) is an elegant specimen of late Georgian style architecture. Brig. Gen. George Weedon of the Continental Army, later mayor of Fredericksburg, built the house and named it to reflect his military career. Upon the death of Gen. Hugh Mercer at the Battle of Princeton during the Revolutionary War, Weedon enlarged the house to accommodate the Mercer family, and Mercer’s children later inherited the property. In December 1862, the Union army built its middle pontoon crossing over the Rappahannock River just below the Sentry Box. Intense fighting occurred here, and the house was heavily damaged.”
The home is a private residence.