Washington Avenue, Fredericksburg, Virginia
When Mary Washington died in 1789, she was buried at her request near her favorite spot were she spent many hours meditating and praying. In 1833, President Andrew Jackson laid a cornerstone for a marble monument at the site with over 5,000 people present. However, the monument was never completed and the partially erected monument was badly damaged during the Battle of Fredericksburg in 1862. After numerous unsuccessful appeals to the government for a new monument, the National Mary Washington Memorial Association was formed. Donations were collected from women throughout the country for the funds to complete the monument. The new granite monument was finally completed and unveiled by President Grover Cleveland in May 1894.
The burial site of Mary Ball Washington (1708 – 1789).
The Mary Washington Monument is the only monument in the United States erected to a woman by women.
On Mother’s Day in 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower visited the Monument.
MARY BALL WASHINGTON PRAYED FOR THE
SAFETY OF HER SON AND COUNTRY DURING
THE DARK DAYS OF THE REVOLUTION
THIS TABLET WAS PRESENTED BY
THE NATIONAL MARY WASHINGTON
CHARTERED FEBRUARY 22, 1890 – FEBRUARY 22, 1967
BY WHOSE DEVOTED EFFORTS THIS MONUMENT
WAS ERECTED AND THIS SITE MAINTAINED.