On one of his visits to Fredericksburg, Virginia George Washington planted thirteen Horse Chestnut Trees to represent the Thirteen Colonies during the Revolutionary War. This last living tree was located on Fauquier Street a block away from the home of his mother.
Ancestral Home of the Lee Family of Virginia
Stratford Hall near Fredericksburg, Virginia in Westmoreland County was the home of a great American Family the Lees. Built in the 1720s by the prominent Thomas Lee, it is the birthplace of the only two brothers to sign the Declaration of Independence, Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee. Confederate General Robert Edward Lee was also born here.
Stratford Hall Plantation is located on a bluff above the Potomac River and consists of its original 1,900 acres. With its English basement, eight chimneys, a high-ceiling hall and two wings, the unique architectural style of Stratford Hall is unlike any home in America.
Chatham Manor is one of the most historic homes in America. Chatham was built between 1768 and 1771 by William Fitzhugh and is located on the Rappahannock River in Stafford County Virginia. Continue reading Chatham
803 Princess Anne Street, Fredericksburg, Virginia
In 1752 at the age of 20, George Washington joined the Masonic Lodge in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
The images below show an early 1900s view of the old Masonic Lodge Building and a 2011 view of the building. The postcard image was postmarked in 1908 in Fredericksburg – view the back.
Continue reading Old Masonic Lodge, Fredericksburg, Virginia
Carter Street, Falmouth, Virginia
“In 1930, this 1880s log cabin was moved to its present location from the corner of Butler Road and Carter Street. The Falmouth historic community saved it with the help of noted architect Edward Donn, for they believed it was similar to the type of house where Master Hobby conducted school for young plantation boys such as George Washington.” — Stafford County Historical Society Continue reading Hobby School
Carter Street, Falmouth, Virginia
The Forlorn Hope “On December 11, 1862, from the north side of the Rappahannock River in Stafford County, the 7th Michigan Infantry led an amphibious assault against the City of Fredericksburg’s tenacious Confederate sharpshooters, gave the Union arm a foothold on the opposite bank, and most importantly, allowed union engineers to complete the vital pontoon bridges needed to carry the rest of the Army of the Potomac safely across the water. The Battle of Fredericksburg was fought two days later.
In the aftermath of the battle, the defeated Union army set up winter quarters at Falmouth. Three companies of the 7th Michigan quartered inside the Union Church, a Falmouth landmark since its construction around 1819. Private Edward Wise, of Calhoun County, Michigan, etched his name on one of the church walls: “7 M Edward Wise Co I.”
In the spring of 1863, when the Army of the Potomac marched toward another major battle at Chancellorsville, Company B of the 7th Michigan remained at the Union Church and on picket duty in Falmouth along the river. A secret “submarine telegraph” was discovered at the Conway house below. Concealed under the river the device was used to pass messages about troop movements and other military information to the Confederates in Fredericksburg.
The Union Church also served as a Union hospital at various times during the war.
The structure, abandoned in 1935, suffered severely from a major storm in 1950.” As the result of the damage in 1950, the church was demolished except for the front section. Although the church is just a facade today, the heavy pound bell remained in the belfry until recently (December 15, 2011).
For more information Church visit: The Union Church Preservation Project
2215 Princess Anne Street, Fredericksburg, Virginia